Name: Rose
Who is asking: Student
Level of the question: All

Question: Is there a solid shaped like a lampshade? Or do you just call it the bottom portion of a cone?


Technically a cone includes the top and bottom portions, although in everyday english we usually use the word cone to refer to one half only. The shape you describe as a lampshade is a truncated cone. My dictionary says that truncate means to shorten something by cutting off the top or the end.