Who is asking: Student
Maybe one of you guys can help me with this, I'm really stuck. Find the shortest distance from the given line. Round to the nearest tenth. (-2,-1) and x+5y+20=0
Thanks a bunxh!
What you need to realize is that:
- the shortest distance from a point P to a line L is the perpendicular distance.
if a line has slope m then any line perpendicular to it has slope -1/m
To solve your problem you can proceed as follows:
I hope this helps,
- Solve the equation of line L: x + 5y + 20 = 0 for y to get an equation of the form y = mx + b. m is then the slope of L.
- Write the equatiion of the line through P = (-2,-1) with slope -1/m. (This is the red line in the diagram.)
- Find the point Q where these two line intersect.
- Find the distance from P to Q.
Go to Math Central