What are the answers to the following ?'s thank you
- A bicycle has a diameter of 66 centimeters. How many times must the tire rotate to travel 1 kilometer?explain answer.
- Becky want to make a long distance call to her friend Sarah from a pay telephone.She has $5.00 in change.The call costs $0.90 for the first three minutes and $0.24 for each additional minute.How long can Becky talk to Sarah?
Answering your first question will require a couple of intermediate steps.
- Using the fact that the tire has a diameter of 66 cm, calculate the circumference of the tire (because this is the part of the tire that tells you how far it travels when it rolls).
- You need to convert 1 kilometer into centimeters (easier to work with) or convert the circumference into kilometers (harder to work with) because we need to have the same units for both measurements.
- Divide the circumference of the tire into the distance it travels to get the number of times the tire rolls.
For your second question:
Hope this helps,
- Your first step is to subtract the initial $0.90 from the total available $5.00 and note that this gives Becky 3 minutes.
- To find the number of additional minutes you need to calculate how many times $0.24 goes into the balance remaining after step 1 (ignoring any fractional or part).
Go to Math Central