Name: Sharon

Who is asking: Teacher
Level: Secondary

What is the name for the bar over the repetend in repeating decimals? Also, what is the name of the long dividion "house"?

Hi Sharon,

The idea of putting a horizontal bar over several terms to link them together is quite old. My standard reference for this type of question, Earliest Uses of Various Mathematical Symbols, has the first use in the middle 1600's and perhaps even earlier. The name of the bar is vinculum. (Follow the link called "Grouping".)

I don't know of a name for the long division "house". The best I can do is point you to the answer Claude gave to Bridget when she asked the same question a while ago. Bridget says that he family calls it the goesinta box

Go to Math Central