Name: Wouter

Who is asking: Student
Level: Middle

Question: Is there anyone who knows the official name for decimal finite non-periodical numbers such as 0.4 or 0.25 as opposite of numbers like 0.3333333... or 0.28571428571428...?

Thank you in advance,


I'm not sure that I completely understand your question but I will try. My assumption is that by "FINITE non-periodical numbers" you mean decimal numbers that terminate in a string of zeros. (I see 0.4 as 0.4000... etc.)

If my assumption is correct then I can "describe" these numbers but I am not aware of any official name. The description is in a note called Terminating decimals that contains an answer we gave to a similar question.

Go to Math Central