Quandaries and Queries


Name: Kashia

Who is asking: Student
Level: All

What is the name of the bar that separates a numerator and that denominator?



Hi Kashia,

The term that is used is "horizontal line" or "horizontal bar" or "dividing line". Chris did some research on this a while age to answer this question.

I also looked in Earliest Uses of Various Mathematical Symbols. Click on the word Fraction (the fourth choice) and on the page that is delivered the term used is "The horizontal fraction bar". It is interesting to read on this page that this symbol was introduced around 1200 by the Arabs to improve on an earlier Hindu notation for fractions.



Go to Math Central