Quandaries and Queries


Who is asking: Teacher
Level: Secondary

I would like to know the name given to the bar that is written over the repeating digits of a decimal. Thank you for your assistance.



Hi Debbie,

The name for the bar is vinculum. My reference for this type of question is Earliest Uses of Various Mathematical Symbols, a site run by Jeff Miller, a teacher in New Port Richey, Florida. Follow the link on his page called grouping.



Go to Math Central