Quandaries and Queries


Name: Bill
Who is asking: Teacher
Level of the question: Secondary

Question: Hi,
Your site appeared in my search for the name of a 3-dimensional pie shape. 2-d would be a sector of a circle. As it it curved, I don't believe it is in a the polyhedra family. Can you help me find the mathematical term for it?



Hi Bill,

Why not call it a wedge? Everybody knows what is meant. If you make the wedge with flat sides, then you do get a polyhedron. It is a triangular prism if the triangular sides are parallel and congruent; otherwise it is just a wedge. If one of the faces is round, I would call it a pie-shaped wedge.