Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to you because I would like to know if there is a name for a 24 sided shape.

I am a student at secondary school doing GCSE coursework about areas and perimeters, the shape with 24 sides keeps having to be mentioned, but because I don't know the correct terminology for such a shape, I have to write it out the long way. I would be very grateful if you could tell me what a 24 sided shape is called.

Thank you very much,


Hi Matt,

There is a mathematician at Princeton, Prof. John Conway, who has a convention for naming polynomials which you can find at the Math Forum. My reading of his convention is that a 24 sided polygon is a icosikaitera.

Every mathematician I know would call it a 24-gon. If all the sides are the same length and all the internal angles are of the same size then it's called a regular 24-gon.