Math CentralQuandaries & Queries


Question from Briana, a student:

what is the 3d term for pentagon? like a circle is a sphere?

Hi Briana,

I think you are looking for a three dimensional object make from regular pentagons. This object does exist, it's called a dodecahedron. It is one of the five Platonic solids. You can see images of them on the Math is Fun site. The word dodecahedron comes from the Greek word déka which means ten and do which signifies two. Two and ten is twelve and the dodecahedron has twelve faces.


About Math Central


Math Central is supported by the University of Regina and The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Quandaries & Queries page Home page University of Regina PIMS