Math CentralQuandaries & Queries


Question from cliff, a parent:

a landlord receives $95.00 rent 5% commission was paid to get to $95.00 what was the original number. The answer is obvious but what is the formula. Thanks. Cliff

Hi Cliff,

If the renter pays $R then the commission is 5% of $R which leaves the landlord with 95% of $R.

Hence if the landlord receives $L then

0.95 × $R = $L or $R = $L/0.95

In the example you sent $L = $95.00 and hence $R = 95/0.95 = $100.


About Math Central


Math Central is supported by the University of Regina and The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Quandaries & Queries page Home page University of Regina PIMS