Math CentralQuandaries & Queries


Question from Vickie, a parent:


Thanks for all your help in the past. My daughter had a question on her Week By Week about transformations and I can't remember what transformations will result in proportional figures. If a transformation looks like it is smaller what is that called? Also if the figure looks bigger what is that called?

Thanks in advance for you help,



Usually mathematicians don't distinguish, because the same mathematical techniques work for both cases! When we need to distinguish we might call one that made things smaller a "contractive transformation" or "contraction" and one that made things bigger an "expansive transformation" or "expansion".

Good Hunting!


About Math Central


Math Central is supported by the University of Regina and The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Quandaries & Queries page Home page University of Regina PIMS