Math CentralQuandaries & Queries


Question from Gordon:

Some authorities treat "triakis" (and related terms "dyakis", "tetrakis", etc.) as attached prefixes; others treat them as separate adjectives. Thus I see one of the Catalan solids described as both "triakistetrahedron" and "triakis tetrahedron". Which usage is correct?

The general rule is to follow the example of the mathematicians you most respect. On the other hand, you can always follow what Oxford English Dictionary has to say — they can be counted on to obtain the best available advice. Here is the OED entry:

oed entry


About Math Central


Math Central is supported by the University of Regina and the Imperial Oil Foundation.
Quandaries & Queries page Home page University of Regina