Math CentralQuandaries & Queries


Question from Karla:

to change an improper fraction into a decimal 5 3/4 equals

Hi Karla,

You can first express the mixed number as an improper fraction and then divide. Look at the example I showed to Jay a few years ago. Try this method with 5 3/4 before you read my next paragraph.

You can solve this problem an easier way because the fraction is three-quarters. Since three-quarters is 0.75, five and three-quarters is 5.75. Is this what you got when you used the other method?


About Math Central


Math Central is supported by the University of Regina and The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Quandaries & Queries page Home page University of Regina PIMS