Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 14:26:06 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Geometry

Name: Paul

Who is asking: Student
Level: Middle

What is the mathematical term for the kite shape?

Hi Paul
The word KITE is commonly used for the kite shape, (e.g. John Conway, of Princeton, an EXPERT on vocabulary). Strange that this, alone, out of the quadrilaterals with an important symmetry (mirror reflection) has no Greek or Latin name. However this is probably better that the name 'Isoceles Trapezoid' for a related quadlateral (one reflection, with mirror through the midpoints of the parallel sides). Given the choice, I even rename this - focussing on the diagonals and the equal sides - and call it a butterfly!


Go to Math Central

To return to the previous page use your browser's back button.