Subject: graph lines

Name: Janis Watson
Who is asking: Teacher
Level: All

What are the proper names for the vertical and horizontal lines on a graph? I am trying to explain an oscilloscope screen, and I don't know what to call these, except "vertical lines" and "horizontal lines." I thought one of the words was "gradicule," but I can't find it in my American Heritage or science dictionaries.

Thank you.

Hi Janis,

The terms that I have heard are horizontal grid lines and vertical grid lines. "Grid lines" is also the term used by computer drawing programs line Adobe Photoshop.

Go to Math Central