Math CentralQuandaries & Queries


Um, I had a question for algebra, I'm just curious of how to put x^3/8y^1/4 in radical form. Can you help me? Thanks a lot!


Hi Cassia.

Take a look at Brennan's reply to you yesterday.

In it, he talks about the denominator of the exponent corresponding to the digit inside the "notch" of the radical (when nothing is written in the notch, that means a 2 is assumed there).


Now if you want to add fractions, you know you need a common denominator, right? It is similar with fractions in exponents. A similar question to yours would be to "radicalize" a1/2b2/3. If I want it under one radical sign, I need to make the denominators match:

Hope this helps you,
Stephen La Rocque.

About Math Central


Math Central is supported by the University of Regina and The Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Quandaries & Queries page Home page University of Regina PIMS