- Middle Years
Maxine Stinka, Saskatchewan Education,
Curriculum and Instruction
definitions included here are those that are used in the Saskatchewan
Education document "Mathematics 6-9: A Curriculum Guide for the
Various mathematics dictionaries
may have different definitions. These definitions are designed
to be meaningful to middle level mathematics teachers.
Select the first letter of
the term that you wish to look for.
A | B
| C | D
| E | F
| H | I
| J | K
| L | M
| N | O
| P | Q
| R | S
| T | U
| V | W
| X | Y
- facts and opinions from which conclusions can
degree of a:
- the greatest of the degrees of its terms.
- the sum of the number of times each variable appears
as a factor. e.g. the degree of the term 5x3y4z
is 8 because 3 + 4 + 1 = 8.
whose outcomes affect each other.
- a segment joining two non-consecutive vertices of a convex polygon . e.g.
AC is a diagonal.
- a chord
that passes through the centre of a circle.
- the enlargement or reduction of a plane
- adding two numbers and then multiplying
by another yields the same result as multiplying each one by the
number and then adding the products. i.e. a(b + c) = ab + ac,
or (a+b)c = ac + bc. E.g. 2(3 + 5) = 2x3 + 2x5.
- patterns that allow you to determine whether
or not a number divides evenly into another number (leaving no
remainder) without actually doing the division. e.g. a number
that ends in 5 or 0 is divisible by 5.
- a mathematical sentence containing an equal
equiangular or equilateral triangle
- determining an approximate amount, value or size
Quantitative estimation is determining the approximate number
of items in a group.
- Computational estimation is determining the approximate
result to an arithmetic calculation.
- Measurement estimation is determining the
approximate length, perimeter, area, volume or other measurement
of a geometric figure.
- one or more outcomes of a probability experiment.
- the ratio of the number of favorable outcomes
in an experiment to the total number of outcomes in the experiment.
- a number that indicates the number of times
the base appears as a factor. e.g. 43 = 4X4X4. The
exponent is 3. The entire term is called a power and
4 is the base. When 0 is the exponent the value of the power is
i.e. (-9)0 = 1. When the exponent
is a negative integer, the value of the power is the reciprocal
of the value when the exponent is its opposite.
i.e. 3- 4= 1/34.
exterior angle of a polygon
- a group of symbols representing numbers
- a mathematical expression containing
- the angle outside a polygon
formed by extending one of its sides.
Questions or comments about the glossary can
be directed to TheCentralizer@MathCentral.uregina.ca
or see About Us
page for more information.