- Middle Years
Maxine Stinka, Saskatchewan Education,
Curriculum and Instruction
definitions included here are those that are used in the Saskatchewan
Education document "Mathematics 6-9: A Curriculum Guide for the
Various mathematics dictionaries
may have different definitions. These definitions are designed
to be meaningful to middle level mathematics teachers.
Select the first letter of
the term that you wish to look for.
A | B
| C | D
| E | F
| H | I
| J | K
| L | M
| N | O
| P | Q
| R | S
| T | U
| V | W
| X | Y
- a quadrilateral with both pairs of opposite
where the second term is 100.
- a whole number that is the square of an
integer. e.g. 25 is a perfect square because 5 X 5 = 25.
- two segments or lines that intersect to
form right angles.
plane of symmetry
- a plane that divides a 3-D object into 2
parts, each a mirror image of the other.
- a closed plane figure bounded by line segments.
- a 3-D object that has
polygons as its
faces. The intersection of any two faces forms an
expression consisting of one or more terms, including some
E.g. 3 x2 - 2 x + 1.
- in statistics, population refers to the
entire group about which data are being collected.
obtained directly using methods such as a survey or an experiment.
- an integer greater than 1 whose only positive
factors are itself and one.
- a geometric solid with two bases that are
congruent, parallel polygons and all other
faces are parallelograms. It
is referred to as a right prism if the faces are rectangles. A prisms is named according to the shape of its bases. e.g. triangular
fraction whose numerator is less than its denominator.
- an equality of two ratios. e.g. 5 : 8 =
10 : 16.
- a circular device subdivided into 360 equal
parts and used for measuring angles.
- a half circle subdivided around the edge
in degrees and used for measuring angles.
- in any right triangle, the square of the
length of the hypotenuse equals the sum of the squares
of the lengths of the other 2 sides.
- a geometric solid with one base that is
and all other
faces are triangles with a common
- when the
axes are drawn in a coordinate plane,
the plane is divided into 4 sections called quadrants.
- a polygon with four sides.
- any one of the values in a frequency distribuion
that divides the distribution into four parts of equal frequency.
The first quartile is the number below which 1/4 of the values
Questions or comments about the glossary can
be directed to TheCentralizer@MathCentral.uregina.ca
or see About Us
page for more information.